- Departments apply to participate in the project with a 3-5 member team.
- Department faculty take a 10 minute survey and receive a report of aggregate findings related to faculty perception of equity in department workload.
- The team attends a short face-to-face workshop to become familiar with the latest social science research on workload and discuss initial survey results.
- The team is provided financial support ($1,000) to hire a student worker or provide additional compensation to a staff member, in order to create a dashboard of faculty workload.
- The team publishes the workload dashboard internally within the department to increase transparency.
- The team works with state leader coaches to learn organizational practices that can address disparities and ensure greater equity.
- The team develops a DEAP (department equity action plan), and presents suggested department practices to the department for approval.
- Individual faculty in the department are offered the opportunity to participate in free webinars on aligning time and priorities, negotiation of work tasks, management of student demands, and saying yes and no strategically to new work requests.
KEY FINDINGS SO FAR
- Department routine work practices that support equity are significant, positive predictors of workload satisfaction and intent to leave.
- Department conditions that support equity are significant, positive predictors of faculty satisfaction with workload and a negative predictor of intent to leave.
- Greater awareness of concrete strategies to create equitable workloads (what we termed action readiness) is a significant, positive predictor of all workload satisfaction and a negative predictor of intent to leave.
Since these factors are associated with faculty reporting equitable faculty workloads and being less likely to leave their institutions, we work with departments to create action readiness (e.g. awareness), department conditions that support equity (e.g. transparency, accountability), and department work practices to shape equity (e.g. dashboards, performance benchmarks).